– This is the most common type of hernia and occurs in the groin. It often presents after sudden heavy lifting or coughing or straining. One may notice a burning sensation or pressure in the groin associated with a bulge.Femoral Hernia
– This bulge occurs low in the groin and is more common in females.Umbilical Hernia
– This is a defect that occurs through the belly button or umbilicus.Ventral Incisional Hernia
– This presents as a bulge with or without discomfort in an area of a scar from a previous abdominal operation.Epigastric Hernia
– This usually presents as a small painful bulge in the midline between the umbilicus and the chest.
All of these hernias can cause discomfort or pain. They often get larger over time and all may incarcerate or strangulate.